Owning a standalone business, retail center, or building brings new advertisement factors that can either increase or reduce your business’ clientele. Our team at Genius Signs knows it can be a big and confusing decision whether to choose a monument sign or pylon sign for your business. We will outline the key similarities, differences, and whether to choose a monument sign or pylon sign for your business.
What are monument signs?
Monument signs are outdoor standalone signs typically built outside a retail center, neighborhood, or building. They either house one tenant or multiple depending on what type of use case you have, but they are always constructed on a solid heavy-duty base that doesn’t expose any of the structural elements of the sign. Monument signs are usually constructed at eye level for easy visibility amongst cars passing by. They are most widely used in suburban and residential areas where there are multiple shopping centers and a wide variety of businesses, churches, neighborhood entrances, and more. These signs typically consist of a full aluminum illuminated cabinet mounted atop of either a stone, brick, or aluminum platform. Every businesses needs are different, so here are some examples for specific use cases:
- Retail centers
- Parking lots
- Standalone buildings or businesses such as banks, grocery stores, and restaurants
- Schools and universities
- Churches or other places of worship
- Neighborhoods and apartment buildings
Monument signs are a great option for most businesses and catch the eyes of many passing by. Here at Genius Signs, we specialize in creating custom and unique monument sign designs depending on the criteria of the respective county or subdivision.
How much do monument signs cost?
Purchasing a monument sign can be a big decision, as it is typically the biggest sign on a property. Prices vary greatly depending on the size of the structure and whether it is a solo or multi-tenant sign. We can help find the best fit for your monument sign, simply contact us to see what we can do for your business!
What Are Pylon Signs?
Pylon signs have very similar characteristics to monument signs except for height. Pylon signs, often referred to as pole signs, are freestanding signs that usually consist of an aluminum cabinet attached to either a pole or aluminum structure. They serve a greater purpose of being visible from a distance and are almost always taller than monument signs. The majority of pylon signs are placed along highways or busy roads to maximize their audience reach and they create new traffic to your business due to their size and being double-sided. While some pylon signs have an aluminum frame or structure, they are always supported by one or two poles depending on the size of the sign. When are pylon signs the best choice for your business? Here are a few examples of why a pylon sign would be ideal for your use case.
- Building is along a busy road or highway
- If your buildings storefront has little to no visibility for ongoing traffic
- You want to grasp the attention of your potential client from a distance so they have adequate time to exit or make a turn
- If your respective county or subdivision has pylon sign requirements
- You have multi-tenant retail centers that won’t allow monument signs
What Do Pylon & Monument Signs Have In Common
Now that we’ve highlighted some key differences between monument signs and pylon signs, let’s go over some common similarities.
- They are both typically full aluminum cabinets supported by a pole structure, whether it has an aluminum frame or not.
- They can both house LED displays that can change messages and colors through the use of software or remotes.
- Both signs are freestanding or standalone signs
- Both signs are made of the highest-quality materials to ensure longevity of the sign through the toughest of weather conditions
- Both signs can be illuminated and have 3-D letters in the cabinet (channel letter signs)
- Both signs are fully customizable in terms of structure, material, and color
- Both signs come with a 5-year warranty on all signage, parts, and labor
How to determine what sign is just right for your business
When trying to choose between a monument sign or pylon sign, there are a few questions you may ask yourself or a sign professional.
- Does my business reside in a busy street or highway?
- Do the surrounding businesses in my area have monument signs or pylon signs?
- Does my business have any visibility restrictions that can be improved with a pylon sign?
Although you may not be able to decide yourself, we can help you review some popular options in your area and find the best fit for your business needs. Our team at Genius Signs creates pylon and monument signs from start to finish, from initial design to installation. Having a company that takes care of the entire process in-house creates a stress-free environment for you, as you can just refer back to us for any questions or concerns you may have throughout the entire sign process. With over 15 years of experience, we’re committed to bringing you a high-quality, durable sign that will catch the eyes of thousands passing by your location. Contact us today to see what we can do for your business!